Thursday, July 2, 2009

Potty training...

O.K. So people have been asking, "Melanie you keep mentioning MJ is potty training... "
So, I will explain.
At 3 months I began doing Natural Infant Hygiene and love it! I am pleased to report that it works well for us.
I began at 3 months old (when poop was less frequent and non explosive) by keeping her on a open, water proof cloth and learning her cues.
Now, at 7 months, I just "know" when she needs to go. We rarely miss a "boom boom" (BM) and get 50-75 % of all "pee pee" (urine).
She has gone in the car in a bag, in the woods, in a child's potty, in adult potties in bathrooms all over the state. It has saved us an obscene amount of money because she rarely needs more then 2-3 diapers a day, depending on recent sales these could be paper or cloth. She might wear slightly more if she is wearing paper because the tabs "wear out" before she usually wets them.
I know people say what a pain, but for me it isn't. I enjoy the time we spend together whether on the potty or playing, and she has been going "on the pot" for a few months now; she holds her pee longer between potty trips, displays uncomfortability when she is wet, and laughs and sings while on the "pot".
We sing after she sits on the potty whether she goes or not (our own little potty song) and use NO negative reinforcement, "punishment", or "shame".
We never call dirty diapers icky, gross or bad.
We have had only 1 diaper rash (when she started swimming).

People all over the world do it and it just seemed like a healthy, cost efficient, more comfortable and natural alternative to waiting and potty training when she is older...

Feel free to ask questions in the comments if you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment